Monday, July 18, 2011

Menu Planning

I have been inspired by some recent blogs that I have viewed to actually plan a whole week of dinners and not just a day or two. Often, at 4 p.m. I am thinking to myself what we have leftover in the fridge, what's in the freezer and what do I feel like eating for dinner. I frequently fix what I am in the mood for. Not a very economical or well thought out strategy for getting meals on the table. So here I will share this weeks menu.

Monday- Burritos with leftover chicken from Saturday, seasoned with my Mexican Seasoning Mix

Mexican Seasoning Mix
1/2 C dried minced onion
1/3 C beef bouillon powder
1/3 C chili powder (as hot as you like)
2 TB ground cumin
1 TB crushed red pepper
1 TB dried oregeno
2-3 tsp. garlic powder
Combine in a pint jar. To use, stir in 3-4 TB of dry mix with 1/4-1/3 C water, to 1 lb. of browned and drained ground beef, chicken or pork. Simmer until liquid is absorbed. Use in tacos, burritos or on nachos.

refried beans with home-canned pinto beans
toppings- cheese, sour cream, lettuce, salsa

Tuesday- Brown Rice Lasagne from Homemaking on the Homestead
Salad

Wednesday- ??
See, only 2 days and my mind is blank

Thursday
- leftover lasagne from Tuesday
salad

Friday
- Baked potatoes
Homemade chili
Toppings- sour cream, cheese

Saturday
- Leftovers from Friday

Sunday- Something with meat or fish that was on sale this week, actually, yes, I want fish. Weekly ads come out Wednesday, we'll see what's on sale.
Fish, salmon or cod
salad or green beans
rice (pilaf, maybe)

Lunches are usually leftovers, sandwiches with soup, or mac n cheese

Okay, I know it's a bit lame. But I will make this a goal of mine, to actually plan out meals that have variety, are cheap, my family will eat, and I am in the mood for:) Oh, and I am trying to cook with less wheat, so if anyone has some good gluten-free recipes they would be willing to share, I would be very thankful.

We have used up all of our homemade sausage. We will make some next month or when pork is on a good sale, or from a butcher in Sept. after the 4-H kids sell at the livestock market. We make Italian, breakfast, and Brats. I will share when we make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcome!