Friday, August 5, 2011

A Productive Week

I got a lot accomplished this week and it sure feels good. I did quite a bit of canning.
From left to right: Triple berry jam (5 1/2 pints), green beans (32 pints), salsa (9 pints, and mustard pickles (4/1.2 pints).

Earlier today I baked 2 loaves of wheat bread and I just took 3 1/2 pints of strawberry-rhubarb jam out of the canner. Jam is easy and green beans are pretty straight forward. Here is the salsa recipe I used. We really like it because it is thick and not watery like most home-canned salsas, and it uses lemon juice so you don't have that "off" taste from vinegar that makes canned salsa taste funny. Plus, I don't bother peeling the tomatoes. That is one extra step I don't have the time for and you can't even tell once the salsa's made. Give it a try.

Salsa

3 qts. cored slicing tomatoes
3 C chopped onions
6 jalapeno peppers, mostly seeded and chopped
4 long green chiles, mostly seeded and chopped (I use Anaheim peppers)
5-6 cloves garlic, chopped
2- 12 oz cans tomato paste (this thickens the salsa)
2 C bottled lemon juice
1 TB salt
1 TB ground cumin
2 TB oregano (optional, I don't usually use)
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 C chopped cilantro
1-2 dashes hot sauce (or more if you like it spicy)

Put the chopped tomatoes in a large saucepan. Let them sit for 5-10 min. Push them to the side and ladle off most of the liquid. This helps keep it thick. Add the rest of the ingredients in the saucepan except cilantro. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 25-30 min. Add the cilantro during the last 5 min. of simmering. Ladle into hot pint jars leaving 1/2 " head space. Adjust lids and process in boiling water bath for 15 min. Adjust for altitude. I am at 2,000 feet, so 20 min. for me.

2 comments:

  1. Would you consider posting your mustard pickles recipe? My Gramma made these and they look just like yours. Sure wish I would have been more attentive when she was canning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to post the mustard pickle recipe. I adapted it from the Ball Blue Book. Basically, I used their sauce recipe, and used my preference of vegetables to put in it.

      Mustard Pickles

      5-7 large pickling cukes
      1 1/2 lbs. Hungarian Hot Wax peppers
      1-2 red peppers
      1-2 green peppers
      2-3 onions

      1 C canning salt
      4 qts plus 1/2 C water, divided
      1 1/2 C sugar 1/2 C flour
      1 TB tumeric
      1/2 C prepared mustard (like French's)
      5 C vinegar
      This sauce recipe you could cut in half, or double the amount of vegetables, because I ended up with very saucy mustard pickles, but I used the vegetables that I had.Their recipe had appx. 17 C of vegetables, mine has 9 C or so.

      Combine vegetables in a large bowl, dissolve salt in 4 qts. water. Pour salt water over vegetables and let stand 12-18 hours in a cool place. Drain, rinse and drain again. Combine sugar,four and tumeric in a large saucepot, gradually add 1/2 C water stirring until smooth. Stir in mustard and vinegar. Cook until sauce coats the back of a spoon. Add vegetables and simmer 15 min. Pack hot pickles and liquid into hot jars leaving 1/4 in. head space. remove air bubbles and process pints and qts 10 min in boiling water bath adjusting for altitude if necessary.

      Delete

Your thoughts are welcome!