Monday, December 19, 2011

Musings and Cookies

If you've read my blog the last couple of days then you know about my BO sitting on a clutch of eggs on the floor of the barn in the dead of winter. The pic I posted yesterday showed her with some of the eggs the other pullets had laid around her because she was in their "spot." Well, I wasn't wearing gloves and picked up 2 of the eggs that were furthest from her beak reach, leaving the others that were within striking distance with her, on the assumption that I would return later with gloves and be able to grab them unscathed by a sharp, blood drawing peck on the hand. Yes, I know your're thinking it, go ahead, yes, I was chicken to grab the eggs. I know...
Of course, when I went out later, they were gone. Yep, she had added them to her clutch. Now, those eggs are newer than what she already has under her, I can't help but wonder how often while I was gone at work that she snuck more eggs to brood. Good heavens, Lord knows how many eggs are under her, and I don't want to take the chance disturbing her and then she leaves the eggs for good. I will keep you informed of her progress.

Our 2 daughters are off on the big adventure of driving to the city to go Christmas shopping, which is 45 min. away. We have a couple of stores in town and some quaint (expensive) stores in downtown, so they had to go to "the mall" to shop. They stopped along the way at Target to check out what they had. They've been gone for 3 hours and just called. They just finished lunch and are heading home. They found everything they wanted at Target. I have to tell you this because I hate to say it but they are victims of our secular public school and "have" to shop at American Eagle, Rue 21 and other stores that I hate. They "need" to have the name brands. I got away with buying at Target when they were little, but once middle school hit, forget it. That's when they found themselves buying a lot of clothes with their own money, and even then only if it passed mom's inspections. Like, no cleavage showing. No skinny jeans. No inappropriate slogans, pictures or anything else. I can't understand parents (?) who allow their children to cloak themselves with images of death, you know, skulls, dark images, and the like. Why on earth would anyone WANT to represent death and wear signs of death? It is an invitation towards evil if you want my opinion. Anyway, I am secretly smiling inside, because now that they both have jobs and DD18 is living on her own, money is a much more precious commodity. DD18 is paying her way through college. They both like to buy clothes and I totally understand because I did too when I was their age. But they are both making frugal inexpensive choices. Yeah! They spent less than they budgeted. I am so proud of their choices and they didn't even "have to go to the mall."

DD18 is gluten free. I am putting together a gift basket for her for Christmas with gluten free items and I am shopping for a gluten free cookbook. I made Christmas cookies today with gluten free flour just for her so she can enjoy some Christmas cookies. They actually turned out pretty good, very flaky. I have made these cookies every year since I was a child and I still have the original cookie molds. Here is my recipe:

Merry Christmas Cookies

1 1/2 C flour (I used Augason Farms Featherlite flour for the gluten free cookies)
1/2 C softened butter
3/4 C powdered sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 TB milk if dough is too dry
Blend in mixer until it forms a dough. Divide into 24 portions and press into cookie molds, or roll out 1/4 in. thick on floured surface and cut with cookie cutters. Lightly brush with milk and decorate with sprinkles, etc. Bake at 350 for 8-12 min or until lightly browned on edges. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Baking Gluten Free is a learning curve. My daughter was on a gfcf diet from age 3 years to age 7years. I don't know how long your daughter has been gf or how long you have been baking gf. I do have a few recipes if you would like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stuck in CA,
    Yes, I would love to get some recipes. DD18 has has stomach issues since she was an infant. I thought vomiting after every bottle was normal, and no Dr.ever suggested gluten sensitivity. She stayed overnight in the hospital when she was 10 to clear her out. She self diagnosed this summer after talking to a friend with celiac disease. She was saying, hey, I have those same symptoms. She feels so much better when she doesn't eat wheat, but does have small amounts occasionally. We are both very new to this, and gluten free pasta and food products are very expensive. So anything you have to share is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not only gluten free but nearly grain free based on my body's unfortunate responses to grains. I eat only brown rice a few times a week. I adore the simple and quick recipes at Elanaspantry.com they are usually easier and quicker than preparing their traditional counterparts and the ingredients so wholesome. I'm the only gluten free one in my family, but everyone gobbles up Elana's recipes at my house. I use Bob's Red Mill almond flour ordered from Azure Standard for many of the recipes.

    Definitely worth your time to take a look. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous,
    Thanks for the info. I will take a look and check out those websites.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcome!