Sunday, June 22, 2014

Cherry Pickin' Time



 They are so fresh you can see that the stems are still green. I estimate that each bag weighs about   10-12 lbs. I was dreading the process of pitting because I have 2 single pitters, and even with DH's help, it is a long and tedious process. I decided to run to town yesterday and see if I could find a more efficient tool for this task. Success! At Fred Meyer, I found this nifty pitter.  It is important not to stem the cherries before you are ready to use them because they will rot. You just load up the hopper with washed and stemmed cherries.You can see my washed cherries on the left, the hopper with cherries, and the bowl on the right that the pitted cherries pop into.  Then, just push the plunger and out comes your pitted cherry. The pits are disposed of in a little container of the other side of the unit. This little gadget saved me so much time and back ache! It was well worth the $20 and as my DH says, never pass up a tool you can use.




I processed one bag yesterday and was able to put up 14- 1/2 pint jars of cherry jam and 9 pints of cherry sauce. If you have never made cherry jam, try it. It is absolutley delicious and you may have a new favorite. For the cherry sauce, which is great over ice cream, cheesecake, or pancakes, I was using a Danish Cherry Sauce recipe from my Ball Blue book, when I realized that the almond extract that the recipe called for, had all evaporated out of the tiny bottle. So, no almond extract in the sauce and it is still delicious. I thickened the sauce with Clear Jel. I just used a lesser amount the the recipe called for in cherry pie on the Clear Jel label, plus I added some lemon juice.I doubled the recipe so used 6 lbs. of cherries just for the sauce.


The cherry sauce is on the left and the jam is on the right. I plan to share some of the cherries that are left with friends, and then can up some pints and put a bag or two in the freezer. All in all, summer harvest season is off to a good start in the orchards. As for our garden, we just got our transplants in the ground today. The potatoes have all come up, but it has been so darned windy, that we couldn't get anything in the ground until now. Hopefully, it is not too late in the season for our little transplants to get to growing.

4 comments:

  1. Looks good. Cherries is not something you see often around these parts, at least one that produces anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How are things on the Smallhold? We can certainly grow fruit like cherries, apples, pears and peaches here in the PNW, but you won't see oranges, lemons, avocados or figs around here. I noticed the price for cherries at the local grocery store was $3.49/lb. That seems really high, so I am wondering what other people around the country are paying.

      Delete
  2. I love cherries. My old tree is having an off year, and my new trees aren't producing yet. I'm going to have to head to the farmers market!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some fruit trees are heavy producers every other year. How long does it take for a young cherry tree to produce? A lot of apple growers in our area are putting in new apple orchards with trees that produce in 2-3 years. I think I might want to put in some more apple trees. We only have 2 that have survived. The other 3 were destroyed in the winter months from voles eating the roots all winter.

      Delete

Your thoughts are welcome!